When I decided to put new brake pads on the front caliper brake of my Honda Rebel, I had no idea what I was getting into. In fact, this decision led to all sorts of problems, including the un-removable bent brake rotor, and the broken swingarm. It’s not incredibly visible in the pictures, but what you’re looking at is about 2mm of brake pad left on one pad, and a negative 0.5mm brake pad left on the other side.
I’m thinking that it could have been part of what was going on with my brake caliper pistons, but there’s no real way to know for sure. I just know that there was metal exposed on one brake pad and the other one was barely touched! Other possible issues are with the brake caliper pins, or with the bent rotor.
Whatever it was, I’ve got new brake pads on it now!