Bike Bandit just did a great how-to on getting a motorcycle helmet squeaky clean.
I could have really used a deep clean before, when I dirtied my helmet in the worst way possible. I cleaned it really good after that, using just dish soap and a sponge, but apparently that wasn’t the right way. There’s no funk from it, for sure. I couldn’t keep riding in it if there was. At one point while cleaning though I kept wondering if it was all worth it, though.
The one thing I’m already doing right:
- Wearing a bandana every time – sweat will soak into the helmet liner and ruin it.
Now all the things that I should fix:
- Using a mild soap to clean the liner
- Using a squeegee at the gas station to clean the face shield (though it’s been the best thing I’ve used so far)
- Use some automotive wax and polish to get it back in shape
- Deep cleaning it (never done that before)
- Removing the pinlock shield and cleaning both that and the regular shield.